Eishin Nose, a jazz pianist, composer and arranger, is a native of Otaru, Japan, currently residing in New York City.
Eishin moved to California in 1992 to study at Foothill College, south of San Francisco, where he performed as pianist in a jazz band. He joined the jazz vocal group, “Fun Fair” which toured venues & jazz festivals all around the Bay Area. Fun Fair released their first album in 1995 and won the 18th Annual Downbeat Magazine Award.
That same year, Eishin moved to New York City, where he enrolled at the renowned Mannes College of Music and The New School, where he obtained a Bachelor’s of Fine Arts Degree in Music.
He studied with Richie Beirach, Jaki Byard, Phil Markowitz and Russ Lossing, as well as with classical pianist, German Diez.
Eishin has since collaborated with dozens of phenomenal musicians over the years including, Satoshi Takeishi, James Cammack, Matt Wilson, Gregorie Maret, Yosuke Inoue, Eliot Zigmund, Jeff Williams, Tim Armacost, Travis Sullivan,Bob Meyer, Dave Ambrosio Joe Morello, Pheeroan Aklaff, Lonnie Plaxico, Duan Cook, David Smith, Taro Koyama, Shunzo Ohno, Fukushi Tainaka, Satoshi Inoue, Rikiya Higashihara, Sumiko Yoseyama, Brooklyn Gig Band, and many others.
“Here Now Hear”, Eishin’s first album, was released in 2001 featuring Yosuke Inoue on bass, Matt Wilson on drums, and Gregorie Maret on harmonica. One of his compositions from his album, “Remember to Remember” was featured on the international television channel “News Express FCI” in the United States and JSTV “FNN NEWS” in Europe.
In 2003, Eishin was awarded the 95th Annual Gold Disc Award by the popular Japanese jazz magazine, "Swing Journal".
In 2009, Eishin was awarded the S&R Foundation’s Washington Award, presented annually to talented young artists in any of the fields of fine arts, music, drama, dance, photography, and film. The award is especially intended to encourage these individuals who contribute significantly to international collaboration. So far, Eishin is the only person to win for jazz.
In 2015, 2017, 2019, five of his original tune were chosen as best 10 songs among more than 15,000 songs in an international songwriting competition.
Eishin's dynamic and lyrical sound coupled with his bold and adventurous qualities as a composer and jazz performer, find him making numerous appearances at such legendary venues as the “Blue Note”, “Stone” & “Knitting Factory” in New York City, as well as “Kitara Hall”, “Ooga Hall” and “Blue Note” in Japan. Beside U.S and japan, he has been performing in Mexico, Peru and Argentina.
In addition to his jazz works, Eishin has also collaborated with the Sapporo Symphony Orchestra and Shizuoka Symphony Orchestra in Japan on the George Gershwin classic “Rhapsody in Blue”, to prodigious acclaim.
Eishin is a prolific composer, whose portfolio exceeds well over one hundred pieces of original music, and 15 albums. His innovative works have been heard on television and films. He has drawn worldwide attention for his unique vision, free creative style and passionate expression.
As a performer and composer, he possesses a distinct voice with individual lyrical melodious, rich sophisticated harmonies, boldly dynamic rhythms and effortlessly cool undertones. He continues to explore multi-cultural music as an innovative improviser and composer conveying his intrinsic talent and unique sound to people all over the world.
- Downbeat Magazine Award
- Swing Journal Gold Disc
- S&R Washington Award
- 2 original songs “In The Forest” as a Jazz, “Pico Pico” as an instrumental were chosen best 10 among 18500 songs in ISC(International songwriting competition)
- 2 original songs “Moon Longing For Sun” as a jazz and “Koropokkur Suite” as an Instrumental were chosen best 10 among 16000 songs in ISC
- Original song “Moon Longing For Sun” was chosen best 10 among 19000 songs as instrument category in ISC
- Original song “Iomante” was chosen best 10 26000 songs as jazz category in ISC
- Original song “Exclude Out” was chosen best 10 as jazz category in ISC
- Eishin Nose Trio in New York Blue Note
- Solo Piano in Sapporo Concert Hall “Kitara”
- Playing Rhapsody in Blue with Sapporo Symphony Orchestra in Sapporo Concert Hall “Kitara”
- Playing Rhapsody in Blue with Sapporo Symphony Orchestra in Otaru Civil Hall
- Playing Rhapsody in Blue with Sapporo Symphony Orchestra in Kitara
- NHK FM “Session 2012” Trio J-Yorkers:Yosuke Inoue(b) Taro Koyama(ds)
- Eishin Nose+Satoshi Takeishi in Washington DC at Evermay
- Karuizawa Jazz Festival, solo
- Kanazawa Jazz Street solo, duo with Satoshi Takeishi
- Eishin Nose and Yuji Nara(World Music) Duo for Ainu event in Hokkaido
- Concert in Mazatlan, Mexico for The 400th Anniversary of Japan-Mexico Friendship
- The Gate Eishin Nose+Satoshi Takeishi in Washington DC at Kennedy Center
- Solo piano at "Otaru Marine Hall", used NewYork Steinway piano made in 1912
- THE GATE Japan Tour, at Doshin Hall in Sapporo, Ebisu Garden Room
- Eishin Nose Two Men Orchestra THE GATE+STRING4, concert in Brooklyn
- Play Rhapsody in Blue with Shizuoka Symphony Orchestra
- Joined with Travis Sullivan（alt）Bob Meyer（ds）Free Jazz Unit『Snap Dragon』
- Solo Concert in Cusco, Peru at Teatro Municipal del Cusco
- 120 years Japanese immigrant in Peru special Concert in Lima, Peru at Centro Cultural Peruano Japonés
- Koyama Shota+Eishin Nose in Pitt In
- The GATE 10 years anniversary special live at Sapporo Kitara Hall
- Play Rhapsody in Blue with Sapporo Symphony Orchestra in Otaru Community Hall
- Eishin Nose’sPhoto exhibition and solo piano at Arishima Museum in Niseko
- “Here Now Hear” Trio+1: Gregorie Maret(harmonica) Mat Wilson(ds) Yosuke Inoue(b)
- “Home Sweet Home” J-Yorkers: Yosuke Inoue(b) Taro Koyama(ds)
- “Burning Blue” Solo piano
- “Inside Out Dream” Trio: Dave Ambrosio(b) Satoshi Takeishi(ds) Eliot Zigmond(ds)
- “THE GATE” Live album. Eishin Nose+Satoshi Takeishi
- “Waiting” Trio with James Cammack(b) Duan Cook(ds)
- “Kitara Solo Concert” Solo Piano
- “THE GATE, 2012 Live in Shibuya” Eishin Nose+Satoshi Takeishi
- “THE GATE, Japan Tour 2011~2012” Eishin Nose+Satoshi Takeishi
- “Kamuifumu Ureshipamoshiri Ikorokoro” Eishin Nose+Yuji Nara（World Music)
- “RITUALS” Eishin Nose+Satoshi Takeishi
- Studio recording “Pico Pico” Eishin Nose+Satoshi Takeishi
- The first ballad album “HEAVEN’S DREAM” Solo piano
- “Uncertain Landscape” Eishin Nose+Satoshi Takeishi
- “Uncertain Landscape” vinyl record released
- Solo in TOKYO “Harmonics”
“Nose's bend for pure improvisational music is evident. Nose does have a gift for composition and delivers several note worthy scores. Eishin Nose is not content with performing traditional jazz preferring the freedom that improvisation brings. He continues expressing the depth of his feelings through creative, intricate and challenging music”
By Jazz Writer, Edward Blanco
“As a pianist and an artist, he built the music with free creative mind just like a painter drawing on canvas”
By Jazz Writer, Yhu Masahiko
“Exciting, Powerful and Beautiful”
Photographer, Katsumi Kurikami
As a photographer
First Photo Exhibition in Kushiro, Urali,
Photo Exhibition at Manogo Cafe in Okinawa,
Photo Exhibition “Uncertain Landscape” at Zenibako Style in Hokkaido,
Sapporo Houmura Gallery, got Special Award called “KIMIKO Award”
- Photo Exhibition “mado” at Sapporo Houmura Gallery
- Eishin Nose’sPhoto exhibition”michi” and “hikeri”
+Eishin Nose Manhattan Trio : James Cammack(b), Duan Cook(b)
From the recording, “Waiting”
Let us proceed
+Eishin Nose NY Trio : Dave Ambrosio(b), Eliot Zigmund(ds), Satoshi Takeishi(ds)
Inside out dream(used for movie)
Nobody else particular
+J-Yorkers : Yosuke Inoue(b), Taro Koyama(ds)
Kojyo no Tsuki
+Duo with Percussion
THE GATE : Eishin Nose + Satoshi Takeishi
The Gate Live in Kennedy Center, Washington D.C.
From the Album “Rituals”
From the Album “The Gate live in New York”
Feeling of Gospel
When a Dinosaur’s pissed off
From the Album “The Gate live in Shibuya”
From the Album “solo at Sapporo Concert Hall, Kitara”
Eishin Nose + Orchestra
Rhapsody in Blue with Sapporo Symphony Orchestra
Eishin Nose + Classic Pianists
Improvise Bach Goldberg
Rhapsody in Blue with Shunsuke Inada
Eishin Nose + Latin Percussion(Live in Mexico)
Eishin Nose + World Music
Nara + Eishin
Eishin Nose + Fashion Show
Eishin Nose + Kids
in Washington D.C.